Associate Extension Professor
Dr. Barnes' is an Extension economist. His work largely focuses on business development in communities using his three Extension programs, including:
1) Bricks-To-Clicks™; 2) Local Food System Economies; and 3) Local Flavor.
He is certified marketing guide and copywriter for StoryBrand, an online marketing framework used to help businesses clarify their marketing messages so customers will listen. He teaches online marketing using StoryBrand's framework to businesses throughout Mississippi communities.
His research focuses on branding, online and social media marketing, agribusiness management, local food system economics, and rural development issues.
- Barnes, J., G. Langdon. 2018. Marketing Cooperative Extension organizations and Extension local foods educational programs: A review of online practices across the South. Southern Rural Development Center, Mississippi State University. 40 pp. Download
- Barnes, J. 2017. Bricks-to-Clicks™: Online marketing and economic education for businesses. Mississippi State University Extension Service, Publication 3150. Download
- Barnes, J., A. Myles. 2017. Local food system economies: How selected specialty crops contribute to Mississippi's economy. Mississippi State University Extension Service, Publication 3157. Download
- Carter, R., J. Barnes, C. McDavid. 2017. Local food system development in Mississippi: How local governments can support farmer's markets. Mississippi State University Extension Service, Publication 3126. Download
- Wells, K., J. Barnes. 2017. Local food system economies for Mississippi. Mississippi State University Extension Service, Publication 3164. Download
- Barnes, J. 2016. Organizing to use FaceBook advertisements: A planning tool for extension professionals, businesses and communities. Journal of Extension 54(4). Download
- Barnes, J., K. Coatney. 2016. Maximizing the economic value from FaceBook marketing in the agrifood system: Boosting consumer engagement through contests. Journal of Extension 54(1). Download
- Henderson, J.E., J.N. Barnes, L.L. Falconer, B. Williams, D. Sites. 2016. The economic contribution of agriculture and forestry production and processing in Mississippi: An input-output analysis. Mississippi State University Extension Service, Publication 2962, Mississippi State University. 8 pp. Download
- Barnes, J.N., K.T. Coatney. 2015. Progress on broadband adoption in rural America. Choices 30(1)(2015). Download
- Collart, A. J., K. W. Hood, J. N. Barnes. 2015. Overview and the economic impact of the Mississippi blueberry industry. Journal of Food Distribution Research 46(1):63-64. Download