Assistant Research Professor
Nico Quintana joined the Department of Agricultural Economics at Mississippi State University in January of 2019. His main role will be as the water economist for the MRVA Water Center, MSU-MAFES and USDA's Agricultural Research Service initiative in Stoneville, MS. His research will focus in improving academic and stakeholder understanding of the economic factors that drive the decline of an aquifer in an area with abundant precipitation and surface water sources.
Prior to joining MSU, Nico was a postdoctoral researcher at the University of Wyoming in Laramie where he applied his dynamic modelling skills to study wildlife conservation and ecosystem service provision in the context of cow-calf ranching in the rangelands. He earned his Ph.D. at Kansas State University where he worked with professors Jeff Peterson and Nathan Hendricks on research topics related to optimal extraction paths for a declining aquifer under different policy and climate scenarios. While finishing his doctorate, Nico worked as a consultant with the World Bank in Washington, DC, where he studied the productivity of water in agricultural use at a global scale.
- Ph.D., Kansas State University
- Productivity of water in agricultural uses
- Groundwater extraction and aquifer decline
- Agricultural and Applied Economics Association
- Association of Environmental and Resource Economists
- Western Agricultural Economics Association
- Southern Agricultural Economics Association
- Pinnamaneni, S. R., S. S. Anapalli, K. N. Reddy, D. K. Fisher, N. E. Quintana Ashwell. 2020. Assessing irrigation water use efficiency and economy of twin?row soybean in the Mississippi Delta. Agronomy Journal 112(5):4219-4231. Download
- Dyer, H., T. Hilken, H. Kirkpatrick, K. Roberts, N. E. Quintana Ashwell, A. Maher, K. Maczko, J. A. Tanaka, J. Ritten. 2019. Enterprise budgets for cow-calf operations in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. University of Wyoming Extension B-1332. Download
- Quintana Ashwell, N. E., A. T. Maher, J. A. Tanaka, J. P. Ritten, K. A. Maczko, H. Dyer, H. Kirkpatrick, K. Roberts, T. Hilken. 2019. Ranch economics of prescribed grazing on rangelands: The case of representative ranches in Northern Montana. Western Economics Forum 17(1):73-85. Download
- Taylor, D. T., N. E. Quintana Ashwell, A. Maher, K. Maczko, J. A. Tanaka. 2019. National and state economic values of cattle ranching and farming based on ecosystem services in the US. University of Wyoming Extension B-1338. Download
- Quintana Ashwell, N. E., J. M. Peterson, N. P. Hendricks. 2018. Optimal groundwater management under climate change and technical progress. Resource and Energy Economics 51:67-83. Download